The Open Beta for the Dino D-Day Jurassic-Sized Update and Last Stand DLC is now…well, open!
First off, Dino D-Day now has an Open Beta where players who want to check out our upcoming free overhaul of the game, can do so. No sign up, no obligation, no credit checks! The update is called “Jurassic-Sized” because it is the biggest update we’ve ever put out, and like a Jurassic sauropod, it weighs about 80 tons and must consume coniferous plant matter for 12 hours of each day! At the moment though, the update is sort of like a museum skeleton that is being assembled while on public display. It isn’t finished yet. Let’s repeat that because it is important and keeps our minds from wondering how much poop 12 hours of constant eating could produce.
The Dino D-Day Jurassic Update isn’t finished yet – but you can play it right now and watch it improve right before your eyes. Like magic–nay, like evolution!
We invite you to come play with us and let us know what you think of the direction the game is taking. If you have thoughts and ideas we would love to hear them. That’s how things get better.
What is the Public Beta version of Dino D-Day like right now?
Fairly different from the current Steam version. The game has been migrated to a new branch of the Source engine. Our characters have all gotten a facelift, as have many weapons, our menus and hud. You’ll see new maps, and a new visual style painted across them. This new style is something that the older maps will also be getting in the upcoming weeks. Our to-do list is fairly long, but we are confident you will see that we’ve been very busy so far. Also, I had to look it up. Apparently they found a sauropod coprolite that was ten square feet. Yeah.
Can I purchase the Last Stand DLC now?
Yes, in order to play survival mode in the Beta you will need to purchase the Last Stand DLC. That is to say, the DLC does not exist in the current Steam version! It is only in the Beta and as such you will need to opt into the Beta AND purchase the DLC if you want to check it out. Like the Jurrasic-Sized uptate, the Last Stand DLC is a work in progress. If you choose to purchase it now, you will be able to help steer the game as we make finishes to it, and we look forward to seeing what you think of this new way to wage war on fascist dinosaurs and those who deextinctified them. There are a lot of things to be excited about in Last Stand, and a lot of fun to be had with friends or alone. Though still due for polishing throughout the public beta process, Last Stand is fully functional. It has new dinosaurs, a new Quartermaster upgrade store, new maps, a terrifying boss battle at the end of it, and finally and most importantly: it has a goat out for revenge who shoots lightning from his horns for Freedom. Last Stand has benefited from a great group of private beta testers who helped us get the game to where it is now. It’s fun! Come electrocute dinosaurs with goats!
So many new things! What do I do?!
Ask yourself if you want to see new things or if you hate and fear them. If yes, opt into the Dino D-Day beta. This is free and will get you access to the update before we launch it. You will be playing an embiggened version of Dino D-Day within minutes. Here’s how:
1. Right click on Dino D-Day in your Steam library. At the bottom of the pop-up menu, select Properties.
2. Choose the Betas tab at the top. Click to expand the drop down menu and choose Dino D-Day Public Beta.
3. Wait for the download. It will be quite large as this is an almost total replacement of the public game!
4. Launch the game and go fight!
5. Optionally, let us know in Community Hub Discussions what you think, report bugs, and give suggestions.
Next, if you really want to further the cause of Freedom by adding the Last Stand DLC to your game, do this:
1. Purchase the DLC on the Dino D-Day store page.
2. Play Last Stand by hitting the new button at the top of the Main Menu in the Dino D-Day Beta.
3. At the Lobby screen choose the map you wish to play. We recommend Opera and Subbase to start with, as those are the most fully optimized for Last Stand at this point.
4. Invite friends to play and start your match! (If you have no friends, Last Stand will let you buy some.)
5. Do not sauropod your pants when you meet the Red Baron in the tenth wave.